Search This Blog

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Conviction


Last night I saw the film Conviction with Hilary Swank and Sam Rockwell. I have to say, this was an incredible movie. Hilary Swank is brilliant as always, and Sam Rockwell really shines in this film. I am utterly confused as to why this was not nominated for any Academy Awards??? (Really, True Grit was nominated? Toy Story 3?? But not this? Blasphemy!)
If you haven't seen this movie, GO SEE IT NOW!

What makes this movie even more amazing is the fact that its a true story. Hilary Swank has said that Betty Anne Waters is her "real life hero" and I can see why. This woman put everything she had into becoming a lawyer (I think without having graduated high school) to save her brother. She dedicated her life to freeing him. It is such an inspirational and beautiful story of sibling love. Throughout the entire film I was imagining how painful it would be to see your own sibling go through that. She is an absolutely amazing woman and such an inspiration.


True, this seems quite unrelated to fashion and health, but when I feel this strongly about something, no matter what it is, I feel I have to share. And what we can take from this movie is determination. Giving yourself a goal and sticking to it. Its about working hard for what you believe in, whether its justice, your family, women's rights, poverty, the nation or the world's health, or your own health.

I took an enormous amount from this film, but what I'd like to share with you is the inspiration to work hard and never give up. If Betty Anne Waters can spend 20 years studying and working hard to free her brother from prison when it seemed impossible, then I can sure as hell run my lazy ass off on the treadmill!

No comments:

Post a Comment