Search This Blog

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Agave: Nature's sweetener

My latest obsession is called agave [pronounced uh-gah-vee] nectar or syrup. Its a natural sweetener that you can substitute for your regular sugar, or God forbid, Splenda. (I seriously hope none of you are using Splenda or any other sugar subsitute such as Equal or Sugar Twin. These are TERRIBLE for your body, to say the least. Its all chemicals & aspartame - don't get me started on that!) So this natural nectar or syrup comes from the agave plant which is also where tequila comes from! Anyway, its actually quite sweet and you don't need very much of it at all. I've been using it in my coffee lately & its great! Oh and its best to go for the raw kind.



On the topic of natural sugar substitutes, I thought I might suggest a few other ideas which are much better than refined, processed white sugar, which will wreak havoc on your body, for sure. PURE maple syrup is a good one. As long as you get the pure stuff, so its not processed or injected with regular sugar. Brown sugar is another good substitute for regular white. Also, natural honey. It can be a little hard to find, but most health food stores should carry it; the regular supermarket kinds are usually so processed & altered that there's really nothing good left in them.

No comments:

Post a Comment